I’m testing the new Windows 8 Developer Preview. To download it go to: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/home/
I installed it yesterday and I’ve been playing with it for a couple of hours. Here are some of my impressions.
- I’ve installed it over a Lenovo S10-3 with RAM of 2Gb, Intel Atom N455 Processor of 1.67 Ghz.
- The installation time is very short, between 20-25 minutes to install the OS plus a few more minutes to set the configuration of the account.
- Most of the default direct accesses in the Metro UI don’t work. Internet Explorer doesn’t open when I click on it.
- Windows 8 is installed in a 30 Gb dedicated partition of my netbook.
- It is installed in the partition labeled with the letter G:; however, this unit appears labeled with the letter C: when I’m inside windows 8, that implies that my other two partitions appear with a different unit letter.
- Wireless, Bluetooth, brightness, volume, and the pad work perfectly. I only had to install the drivers for the Lenovo Energy Management and the mouse pad.
- With only the desktop and the Metro UI running it uses approximately 625 Mb. of RAM
- I’ve already downloaded Google Chrome which is my main web browser. It works normally in Windows 8.
- I DON’T like the new office 2007-style ribbon that has been added to the Windows Explorer.
- I like the way the taskbar changes its color when the background wallpaper is changed.
Click on the images to see them bigger.